The image gallery displays robots built using this platform.
This item does not qualify for free shipping.
The HD2 is a large tracked robotic development platform designed and fabricated in North Carolina USA and fully supported by SuperDroid Robots, an industry leader in robotics. It has the same chassis we use in our tactical robots. It is very rugged and can carry up to 100 lbs. of additional payload depending on the motors selected. The large platform allows the robot to easily climb obstacles, ascend stairs, and drive over most terrain.
It's a tank, so we built it like one. The wheels are supported with inner and outer race sealed ball bearings (the wheels are NOT cantilevered or direct driven from the gear motor shaft). The wheels are driven with powerful IG52 gear motors a heavy duty #35 chain. The chassis is made from aircraft grade aluminum. The design uses all CNC cut parts with mortise and tenon design for precise alignment and mating of the parts. The frame is ribbed and gusseted making it very rigid. The aluminum is welded together for a solid chassis. The robot is enclosed and can be sealed to make it water tight. We have designed this robot to be as simple as possible without compromising its strength, durability, or functionality. You can get more information on the HD2 on our support page.
The tracks and wheels have been modified from the original design to make this robot even more robust. The wheels are an assembly made from a 1" thick high strength rubber center piece with timed teeth that is sandwiched between two black Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyurethane (UHMW) outer pieces. The treads are CNC cut to have timed holes that match the timed teeth of the wheels. The outside edges of the tracks have guides to ensure proper tracking. The idler wheels have also been modified to be a an assembly of rubber and UHMW to add further stability and tracking of the treads. The result is a much hardier track and wheel system that is more tolerant to changes in temperature, speed, debris, etc.
This robot can be configured many different ways to suit your needs. Scroll down to the Item Options section to view and select the options for your robot. The information here and on our HD2 support page will help you choose the options that are right for you. When you are finished configuring your robot click the "Update" link at the bottom of the page to see the adjusted price with your chosen options. We have selected the default options to give you a high-performance complete robot kit.
- Includes HD2 Chassis with hardware, chains, electronics, etc.
HD2 Pair of Tracks and Wheel Set - Generation 4
- Qty 8: HD2 Idler Rollers with bearings and shafts
- Qty 2: Front Motors: IG52-04 24VDC 285 RPM Gear Motor. (Different motors options can be selected below.)
- Qty 2: Rear Motors: IG52-04 24VDC 285 RPM Gear Motor. (Different motors options can be selected below.)
- Qty 2: K2 25.6V LiFePO4 Battery Pack 9.6Ahr. (Different batteries options can be selected below.)
- Battery chargers
- HD2 Battery Mounts
Sabertooth Dual 25A Motor Driver. (Different motor controllers can be selected below in the options.)
Spektrum DXeTransmitter with AR600 Receiver. (Additional controllers can be selected or deselected below in the options.)
- Dimensions: The total length of the robot (track tip to tip) is about 39 inches. by about 9 1/2" high (tread height) The robot is completely symmetric and invertible. This robot comes as standard width of 20 inches. As an option you can select wide chassis below for a width of 26" to provide additional room for your electronics, etc. There is a very large center cavity for batteries, electronics, cameras, computers, etc. The motors are half inside the tread and protrude into the center cavity. The bottom cover is flanged and all the holes are CNC cut and then hand tapped for a perfect fit and seal.
- Speed: The robot is currently geared with a 1:3 reduction (gear motor to drive wheels). The robot as configured will travel about 235ft/min with 285 RPM motors and its 1:3 reduction with 9.5" tall treads. Different gear rations can be requested and different motors can be selected below to adjust the speed. Use our Robot Speed Calculator for calculating the speed with different motors.
- Weight: The robot as configured weighs about 90lbs. Without batteries, it weighs about 80lbs. Different batteries, chassis width, motors, etc. will affect the weight. The wide chassis will weigh 5 pounds more than the standard.
- Capacity: The robot as configured can take a payload of about 50lbs, selecting higher torque (lower RPM) gear motors will allow payload of up to 100lbs. Skid steering is the main limiting factor with the capacity (in order to turn the tracks must skid, additional weight makes this very difficult with high traction treads).
- Assembly: This kit comes unassembled. As an option below you can select, electrical, mechanical, or full assembly
The standard items and options are listed below. They are listed as links and can be clicked to view further details. We offer many different motors, motor controllers, batteries, etc. so you can configure the robot to your exact needs. If you change to a different motor voltage, be sure you select the correct batteries and motor controllers. The weight of the robot, its capacity, speed, etc. depend on how the robot is configured. The item details of the options listed below will specify weights, sizes, etc. This robot platform is a skid steer robot (left and right sides are slowed down, stopped or reversed to turn). Since it has to skid to steer, friction is the major contributing factor for sizing your components. The more the robot weighs, the harder to turn. The higher the friction coefficient (deep grass, carpet, etc.), the harder it is to turn. The lower RPM motors have lower speed, but more torque for easier turning. The default options listed below are what we recommend as a good starting point. Contact us if you need help selecting options or need custom configuration.
This robot can be configured with encoders used for telemetry and/or speed control. They are very useful if you are planning on making your robot semi-autonomous. Our motors use hall-effect encoders.
For help selecting the encoder options, read this blog post:
For more information, check out these blog posts:
Contact us if you need help selecting options or need a custom configuration.
Documentation and Support:
- This item is Built to Order and usually ships in 1-3 Weeks.
- Assembly will add approximately 1 week.
- This is a heavy robot. Depending on options and quantity, it may ship Freight, if so freight costs will be added after checkout.
- Actual delivery may vary based on workload, contact us for a more accurate delivery time
Contact us if you need expedited delivery
This is a very large and heavy package. The price includes building a custom wooden shipping crate. The shipping costs will be calculated upon checkout, the robot and crate weigh in excess of 100lbs. Depending on options, the shipment may exceed 150lbs. If this is the case, shipping will not calculate and the robot will have to ship freight. We will then contact you to inform you of the additional shipping costs.
This kit does not include a microcontroller, sensors, etc. Some basic control packages are listed. See our HD2-S for a complete tactical HD2 solution. See our Treaded HD2 Support Page and our ATR support page for more information.