Sabertooth 2X5 is the motor driver of choice for small differential-drive robots. It is ideal for smaller robots- up to 3lbs in combat or 25 lbs for general purpose use. It is also a great choice in any application where you need to control two brushed motors.
Out of the box, the Sabertooth can supply two DC brushed motors with up to 5A each continuously. Peak currents of 10A are achievable for short periods. Because Sabertooth 2x5 incorporates soft current limiting and thermal protection, you need not worry about killing the driver with accidental stalls or by hooking up too big a motor.
Sabertooth allows you to control two motors with: analog voltage, radio control, serial and packetized serial. You can build many different robots of increasing complexity for years to come with a Sabertooth. Sabertooth has independent and speed+direction operating modes, making it the ideal driver for differential drive (tank style) robots and more
The operating mode is set with the onboard DIP switches so there are no jumpers to lose or complicated programming sequences. Sabertooth features screw terminal connectors - making it possible for you to build a robot without having to solder.
Sabertooth is the first synchronous regenerative motor driver in its class. The regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse. Sabertooth also allows you to make very fast stops and reverses - giving your robot a quick and nimble edge. In certain operating modes Sabertooth can process up to 3000 speed commands per second.
Sabertooth has a built in 5V BEC that can provide power to a microcontroller or R/C receiver. It also features a lithium cutoff mode allowing Sabertooth to operate safely with lithium ion and lithium polymer battery packs - the highest energy density batteries available.
Sabertooth's transistors are switched at ultrasonic speeds (32kHz) for silent operation.
Using these motor drivers with cheap AC adapters is not recommended. Use a battery or at least put a battery in parallel with a DC supply.
To expand the features of Sabertooth Dual 5A Motor Driver you can attach a Kangaroo x2 Motion Controller to the input terminal block on the rear of the motor controller. The Kangaroo x2 adds precision position and speed control to the motor controller. The carefully tuned PID controller gives you the benefits of speed control without the need of advanced math and physics knowledge. For more information on the Kangaroo x2 click here.
- Ant/Beetleweight combat robots
- Differential drive robots up to 25lb
- Radio controlled tanks, cars and boats
Features and Specifications
- Current Limits: 5A continuous per channel, 10A peak
- Voltage Limits: 6V to 18V, 6-12 cell NiMH or NiCd, 2s-4s LiPo, 6V or 12V lead acid (not 18+V lead acid!)
- Size: 1.8” x 1.6 ” x .5” 45 x 40 x 13 mm
- Weight: 19g / 0.7oz
- Input modes: Analog, R/C, simplified serial, packetized serial
- 5V 1A Switch-mode BEC output for external electronics
- Synchronous regenerative drive
- Ultra-sonic switching frequency
- Thermal and over current protection
- Lithium protection mode
- The Kangaroo x2 Motion Controller is perfect for adding encoder feedback to your motor controller
- The DElink2 USB Link allows the end user to interface with the motor controller directly using Dimension Engineering's DEScribe software.
- Servo pigtails make connecting the motor controller to an R/C receiver quick and easy.
Documentation and Support
Software and Downloads