Sabertooth Dual 12A Motor Driver
- Combat robots up to 30lb
- Normal and hobby robots up to 100lb
- Differential drive robots
- Electric vehicles, ride-on toys, scooters
- Easy speed/direction control for pumps, conveyors, automation and any application that uses two brushed DC motors
Features and Specifications
- Voltage Limits: 6-24V nominal, 30V absolute max
- Current Limits: 12A continuous, 25A peak per channel
- Size: 2.3” x 3” x .7” ; 59 x 75 x 17 mm
- Input modes: Analog, R/C, simplified serial, packetized serial
- 5V 1A Switch-mode BEC output for external electronics
- Synchronous regenerative drive
- Ultra-sonic switching frequency
- Thermal and over current protection
- Lithium protection mode
Available Options(Selected Below)
- The Kangaroo x2 Motion Controller is perfect for adding encoder feedback to your motor controller
- The DElink2 USB Link allows the end user to interface with the motor controller directly using Dimension Engineering's DEScribe software.
- Servo pigtails make connecting the motor controller to an R/C receiver quick and easy.
Software and Downloads
This is the new version of the Sabertooth 2x10 motor controller. It has replaced TE-091-210.
The Sabertooth 2X12 is one of the most versatile, efficient and easy to use dual motor drivers on the market. It is suitable for medium powered robots - up to 30lbs in combat or 100lbs for general purpose robotics.
Out of the box, the Sabertooth can supply two DC brushed motors with up to 12A each. Peak currents of 25A are achievable for a few seconds.
Overcurrent and thermal protection means you'll never have to worry about killing the driver with accidental stalls or by hooking up too big a motor.
Sabertooth allows you to control two motors with: analog voltage, radio control, serial and packetized serial. You can build many different robots of increasing complexity for years to come with a Sabertooth. Sabertooth has independent and speed+direction operating modes, making it the ideal driver for differential drive (tank style) robots and more.
The operating mode is set with the onboard DIP switches so there are no jumpers to lose. Sabertooth features screw terminal connectors - making it possible for you to build a robot without even soldering.
Sabertooth is the first synchronous regenerative motor driver in its class. The regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse. Sabertooth also allows you to make very fast stops and reverses - giving your robot a quick and nimble edge.
Sabertooth has a built in 1A Switching 5V BEC that can provide power to a microcontroller or R/C receiver and a couple of servos. This built in BEC is almost identical in performance to our ParkBEC. The lithium cutoff mode allows Sabertooth to operate safely with lithium ion and lithium polymer battery packs - the highest energy density batteries available.
Sabertooth's transistors are switched at ultrasonic speeds (32kHz) for silent operation.
Using these motor drivers with AC adapters is not recommended. Use a battery or at least put a battery in parallel with a DC supply.
Need something a little more simple? Take a look at Sabertooth 2X12 R/C.
To expand the features of Sabertooth Dual 12A Motor Driver you can attach a Kangaroo x2 Motion Controller to the input terminal block on the rear of the motor controller. The Kangaroo x2 adds precision position and speed control to the motor controller. The carefully tuned PID controller gives you the benefits of speed control without the need of advanced math and physics knowledge. For more information on the Kangaroo x2 click here.
Sabertooth Dual 12A Motor Driver
- Product Code: TE-091-212
- Brand: Dimension Engineering
- MPN: 2X12
- Availability: Currently 19 available. Limit 6 per customer Contact us for higher quantities.